Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hot weather

I guess everyone around me has sensed the extreme hot weather nowadays and been wondering if it has something to do with the global climate change. The sun is still blazing, emitting scorching heat. The wind is playing hide-and-seek with us and there are no more kites in the sky. I suspect the highest weather temperature recorded during these days could be rising to more than 35 degree Celsius. I'm sweating although I've set my fan speed to the maximum. I googled the weather forecast for my area, Alor Star for the next 4 days and glad to see it will be raining continuously. If the prediction is true, it will be a welcome sight indeed.

The hot melting weather is one of the symptoms indicating the adverse effect towards the environment disturbance. I've come across with plenteous notices in TV channels and brochures which promoting a pasture green environment. There is now a particular theme in this issue on Discovery channel and a series of documentaries concerning our environment is already available. There have been researches, studies and calculations about the emission of greenhouse gases which contribute the most towards the rising average global temperature. I could roughly remember there were statistics splitting our daily routines into every single action which is causing CO2 emission and taking it into account to calculate the quantity of the CO2 emission. I googled again. The results are shocking.

Here I reveal the statistic about your CO2 footprint when using Internet:
  • For each google search, the CO2 emission is 6.8 grams ( same emission as 56 meters of Toyota Prius or running 170 meters )
  • For each EBAY auction, the CO2 emission is 55 grams ( same emission as 420 meters of Toyota Prius or running 1275 meters )
  • For each blog posted, the CO2 emission is 850 grams ( same emission as 7.6 kilometers of Toyota Prius or running half a marathon )
If you wonder why the amount appears to be so great, I can clarify this to you that the computer terminal is using electricity whereas the data centre operated by Google around the world is consuming power exceedingly. Research suggested that information technology now causes 2% of the global CO2 emission.

Gosh! I'm contaminating the environment while improving English through blogging :p

2 comments:

  1. I would like to share this small piece of information I found:

    1)Only around 5% of the CO2 is produced during the recycling process compared to producing raw aluminium.

    2)Aluminum production also requires large amounts of electrical energy, leading to the emission of as much as 22 tons of carbon dioxide per ton of aluminum due to fossil fuel combustion in power plants.

    From this information, I guess that recycling really reduces CO2 emission by a great deal. By doing our part to recycle, reuse, and by using less of what's unnecessary, things might turn better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the info :)
    One of my friends suggested me to use blackle instead of google to save energy as well as reducing CO2 emission.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails