Sunday, June 28, 2009

Does it really matter?

Race barrier could be seen everywhere in my country.

When I was in my secondary school which comprised of Chinese in majority, the Malays were badly discriminated by the others. The school had always been grouping the Malays to particular classes, perhaps it was just promoting racism as there were two totally different societies which seldom mix nor communicate. Quarrels or fights often sparked off between them due to lack of respect and tolerance. Some of them even dared to challenge each other by insulting their religions respectively.

I faced the problem when I was taking part in a poster designing competitions held under anti-drug campaign. I was the only Chinese. ( It is normal when there are no or less Chinese attending a campaign. In fact, they don't even know there is a campaign ) I could feel it, the racist and unwelcoming expression from their eyes. I was rather peeved when I came across the biased judgement which had deprived my winning seat for so many times. I did tear my certificate into small pieces in anger after that, irrational and impulsive, I know.

Religion continues to be a sensitive issue in our multiracial nation. Until today, the invisible stumbling block is still remained unsolved. The Chinese society has never been satisfied by the commitment of the government on solving the problems or meeting the demands such as funding for Chinese-language elementary schools. The Malay society feels offended, thinking that their privilege presents in different quota systems are getting eroded when the other races question and comment on it. Moreover there will be a big change according to the "One Malaysia" plan. The Indian society was provoked when some of their temple was going to be demolished and it had precipitated resentment which was then fueled by other artificial and racial coloured issues. The situation had gone worse when they started protesting in an aggressive manner via Hindraf which was then declared illegal.

The former Prime Ministers had failed to break the barrier among the races. What will be the next suitable strategy proposed? How about the outcome? No one can presume it.

But I'm sure, we can make the difference if we don't see the difference.

Note: I didn't do much research while mentioning some of the topics. I'm sorry if there are inappropriate or wrong statements. Feel free to correct it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails