Sunday, May 24, 2009

troublesome ENGLISH

Well,this is my first post in English since I had just been blogging in Chinese via friendster. What triggers me in doing so? Hmm, the main reason is to improve my English. I am always fascinated by the way people express their ideas or concepts by using such a good command of English AND the most important one is, they can convey whatever they think precisely and spontaneously which I can't. I'm NOW having big troubles even in constructing a sentence in English, I mean, the words,the phrases can't come out naturally and of course, when it comes to speaking, it will be even worse. I think many of my friends as well as those who have been undergoing a long term of Chinese-speaking-environment will have to face this problem also. My teachers always tell simple English will do, but I believe that when it comes to certain extents it will appear to be not appropriate enough. My cousin did advise me to take a look at some people's blog, for instance, Lim Kit Siang's blog. I find it useful though. Apart from that, I spend most of my time in visiting recom,the worldwide Malaysian students network. By going through the threads, to be specific, the debates on the latest issues like the unfair treatment towards the applicants of JPA scholarships, the contradictory posts that raise controversies, the ironic facts that reflect the truth of our national society, I can merely scratch my head and think: Oh my gOsH! my level of this international language is extremely low. Okay,whenever I take a seat in a cinema from now on, I will try not to rely on the subtitles shown to catch the words spoken by the native-speaker-actors with the "lightning speed" (yeap, for me it is) and soon I will surely be very lost in the mist of stories -___-lll Anyway, it is a type of better training for me,better indeed. I'm one of the typical Chinese-educated students which means, my sentences will sound weird to those who are English-educated. Problems exist to be solved! I hope that I can overcome what I always fear - speak, write, and think, IN ENGLISH =)

*For those who are encountering the same problem, let's give our best shot in improving it!

5 comments:

  1. Just try your best to use the language as much as you could, in particular use it with people who are native speakers themselves. With time you will get better and more natural. The biggest problem for Chinese-educated students like us is not that we don't know the words or idioms; it's that we don't produce the natural expression naturally. For example, "Problems exist to be solved" is grammatically correct; however a native speaker would say "Problems are there to be solved" just because that's the more common way of expressing this thought. :) Trust me, you will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I see! Absolutely agree >.<
    I will try hard to use it with the native speakers, especially in the environment I will be joining soon! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoL gratz on setting up dis blog, successfully...my blog is dying...seriously...
    I can c ur resolve in dis, hope u willll get wat u want. If you nid any help tho, feel free to approach me, n may i remind you, dont forsake ur command over other languages in ur quest to attain better standards of english o, especially chinese!!!
    Chinese educationn rulezzz...haha...except for the common struggle wit english

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I use broken english in my blog, so by no means shud u ever refer to it as properly written articles...haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i really need to push myself to improve my level of english like you!let's do our best,xiang..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails