Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Grandpa

It has been one of my hobby to glance through the photos taken when I was small. In some of the photos there are the eight smilings of my family which consisted of my kind grandparents, my mighty mama and papa, three innocent siblings and I. Everything seemed to be very blessed until the God decided to be facetious when it was the April Fool's Day in year 2002. It was the day when I could never hear his sound again. Perhaps my grandfather's unforeseen death is the most shocking incident I've ever encountered.

The sepia photos seem to recall the past of the person I respect the most, nostalgic yet memorable. I would usually take more than 1 minute staring at my grandpa's weather-beaten face while letting those past moments we shared together to keep echoed in my mind. He used to cane me because I had spoilt his carpenter tools which seemed to be his precious. He used to smile happily which he normally didn't while celebrating his 80-year-old birthday with all the children and grandchildren. He used to grip my hand teaching me how I should write properly, after that I appeared to be the first kid who knew how to write his Chinese name while studying in the kindergarden school. Normally I would end up in tears. It is a saddening moment indeed. My grandpa seldom talk. He kept all his secrets, his hardship and even his borderless love towards the family all the time. According to what my father had told me, my grandpa never complained about his difficult life, never once. He worked as a construction worker who required to move those heavy bricks and breathe in those dirty dusts under the scorching sun which gave out steaming heat in order to seek a means of living. His dark hue colour of skin and the well-developed muscles could explain a lot. He instantly quitted smoking when my father had reached adolescence just to refrain his son from getting this bad habit. In case my grandpa had been smoking for decades. My father told me my grandpa was a pro gambler, I did imagine my grandpa to be the "God of Gamble", rolling the dice stunningly like most of the main actors do in the gambling-related movie. However, he decisively quitted too. He is mighty isn't it? He is always the most important man in my family. All of us feel proud to be granted him as our family guardian. Without him, we wouldn't have the chance to own a comfortable house and secure lifestyle currently.

Grandpa, don't worry about me *rubbing tears*
I'm more sensible and thoughtful now, I've grown up, I've achieved a new milestone in my academic field. I manage to secure a scholarship to pursue my tertiary study. I'm sure you'll be joyful if you can hear that.

Grandma always feels lonely. I'm so sorry to her, I wonder how many time I can ever see her again once I continue my study...

Grandpa, here I pay you my highest respect! I love you grandpa.

4 comments:

  1. wah i so touched nicely written le...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...i like this post..
    actually i had planned to write abt my grandpa for a long time alr..haha
    but i dun hav much time actually...may be...tonight??hahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess your grandpa is also very "yeng", isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. jin xiang,i almost want to cry out after viewing your posts about your grandpa.
    you are his best grandson,absolutely!
    and you have make him proud of you!
    you really did a great job.congrats..
    all the best to you,jin xiang!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails