Friday, September 18, 2009

The day I had forgotten

"Hi Jin Xiang, are you free now?" she phoned me, "Can I have a chat with you?"

"Hi, sure, no problem." I was rather shocked about what brought her to make this sudden call.

"Do you know what day is today?" she asked, smiling. I knew that from her intonation.

"Err..." What a typical question, but it took me about ten seconds before I could only barely break the silence.

"Oh no! Please don't tell me you have forgotten it!" she uttered in dismay.

"Sorry, give me more time to think about that," I replied.

"Okay, now you try to recall, what had you done on the same day of today in last year?"

"Wait a minute, SPM trial examination?"

"No."

"We met each other in the tuition centre?"

"No! I'm kind of disappointed eh, I don't expect you to forget this important day. But obviously you do." She reiterated, "That day eh, you called me in the canteen after school. Then?"

I know she would be glad if I could complete the part she left for me. However I had a short-term memory loss. I kept contemplating.

"You gave me something..."

"Oh!" I cried, "Happy birthday!"

"Yup... how can you forget it?"

*The conversation above ended up with apologies and wishes*

Actually I did consider about her birthday since she asked the first question. But I thought it would be silly if it was not. Honestly, I'm very sensitive to numbers, however it is contradicting to say - I don't surprise to have myself forgetting about that, considering the fact that I don't always give every friend of mine a sincere wish whenever it is the moment they have grown older, not even to my closest friends.

Perhaps I should start writing them down.

6 comments:

  1. Oh hi, why are you so interested to know that? :)
    It's at 22nd March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always put in my friends' birthdays in my phone calendar so that they appear when their birthdays approach. This is how I "remember" their birthdays.

    I can remember engineering formulae, concepts and am good in mathematics, but I just can't remember birthdays. Seems like this is something that most guys are particularly poor at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Henry :)
    I always salute the people who can remember almost all of his or her close friends' birthdays!
    It is indeed tougher than recalling mathematical formulae~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...
    I always rmb ur birthday de o...
    22 MARCH..
    Jie Xiang is older than Keng Siang 4 days but younger than William 4 days..
    BUt He is older than you 6days..
    ^^
    Easy to rmb~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg..funny clare..
    jin xiang,mine is 16th of april..
    hahaha^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails