Saturday, September 19, 2009

Buddhism, my religion.

Having mixed with peers who are mostly comprised of Buddhist along the period I was raised in my hometown, I was surprised by the fact that majority of the Chinese in my college, especially those eastern friends embrace Christian values. Well, I'm a Buddhist, but not the devoted one. Religion is something profoundly abstract to me. I didn't visit temple as regularly as Muslim to mosque, or Christian to church. The incident that motivated me to touch something religious at this time is that there is now a freshly formed association namely Buddhist Society in my college. Although I don't own a great depth of knowledge regarding Buddhism, it doesn't simply mean I'm not interested to explore more about it.

For now I advocate the saying “多个香炉多个鬼,没有香炉没有鬼” which means "to have more censers will result in attracting more ghosts" in direct translation. (Sorry for the not-very-precise-translation as it could be done better) I would like to stress on how sceptic I'm towards some aspects of the religion despite of the actual underlying message of the proverb. Normally Buddhist worships Buddha statues to attain spiritual comfort, hoping he will get rid of disasters or ailments. Some of the believers would make wishes to bring themselves about wealth, and this is the group of people that is prone to superstition.

I'm now going to review several religious acts here, whether it is significant or not. Is burning joss sticks, paper money and incense significant? In my humble opinion it creates pollution rather than achieving what the believers intended. It consumes multitude amount of one of the most essential elements on our planet - paper and it would end up turning into greenhouse gases as well as other harmful byproducts. I'm not going to comment more about the disadvantage of "open burning", yet I often found it ridiculous to see the people burning some high-tech oblations to their ancestors. If they are to burn a paper handphone, I would recommend them to burn an extra Digi simcard too, since it provides the widest coverage :)

I'm not sure if ancestor worship is related to Buddhism since religion would have undergone diverse variation before spreading to every corner of the world. Buddhism I've been following may not share the same aspects with that from the place it originates. It could only come into contact with me when it was festive season such as Wesak Day or it came the traditional funeral. So I might have digressed in some points I've raised here to the extent where it sounds ignorant for me to be a Buddhist.

*This post did occupy a long time of mine, thanks for reading it and it is always welcoming for you to share your two cents about this :)

11 comments:

  1. for your information....
    ancestor worship is unrelated to Buddhism at all...but somehow ppl mix them up as time passes
    anyway...nice post(^.^)
    just Say It OUT loudly...
    dun care about the fact..cos THIS IS UR BLOG!!
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, i know burning joss stick and all the paper money... is causing the air polution and so on. But it is part of economy too. These contribute a major part in the economy. I still dunno whether should support this or not but still do it moderately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is so rare to have young people like you stand up and expressing what they are thinking.
    Most of the youngsters nowadays only follow what their parents do.

    Go Jin Xiang!
    Seek the truth and the Truth shall set you free=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, it's ur blog, so write wad u 1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for ancestor worship, I believe it to be part of the Chinese folk religion. While it is not part of Buddhism, I believe and I view ancestor worship as just a part of respecting or revering your ancestors, who had imparted much of their knowledge and tradition to your fathers and mothers, who in turn impart them to us.

    I would encourage you to continue to seek out your path. However, be wary of the mixtures that are happening in Malaysia. Often, Buddhism is confused with Taoism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Religion is abstract, truly so! My 2-cents is: if God does exist, as much as our finite mind can conceive&perceive, do u agree that God is the 1st Cause&Uncaused, infinite, eternal, above-matter, all-powerful, all-knowing, all-present,绝对真善美。。。etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats, ur college buddhist society is formed! evry one has an inherent right to choose, including religion, as v free moral agents. all religious societies shld hve a rtful place everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. v r products of our environment, even our religious belief, agree? u r buddhist coz u r surrounded by them. some christians r christians for the same reasons - born in such fmly, surrounded by them as they grow up. but v have our own mind. v use it 2 study, learn knowledge from maths to sciences to history to astronomy to all "logies", but rarely to think thru, eternity, God (if He is there), claims of Christianity, Islam...wat say u?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ying Guat, Marcus, Ming Khai: Thanks again for showing concern towards my post :)

    Susu: Thanks :) I've just started expressing my thoughts in this way and there are still many aspects I have to improve! That's why I enjoy reading people's blog, learning their way.

    Henry: What my mind had been perceiving was the hyrid of religious and non-religious elements. Honestly, religion didn't play a significant part in my life as I get along. Instead of adhering to religion, I prefer to do it in a rational way. But I can't predict how my current concept will go as time passes :)

    ltk: Yup I'm utterly agree with "we are products of our environment". In my opinion it is undeniable that upon coming to this world we would have been moulded into different personalities as well as following a particular religion. We have to accept our background whatever it is, just simply because we were born in such way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Francis Bacon earlier in his life says: A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
    Later on in his life: Small amounts of philosophy lead to atheism, but larger amounts bring us back to God.
    U hve a mind for philosophy, the study of the "why of what," the REASON behind phenomenon..

    ReplyDelete
  11. there is always no line for digi down there...
    i suggest celcom...
    celcom "天地通”
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails