Monday, May 3, 2010

Is it that hard to compromise?

Having only healthy vegetarian food in my college hasn't been as convenient as what I think it could potentially be. There are only two cafeterias inside the college compound, one is Mamak cafeteria providing mainly Indian orientated food and one is Malay cafeteria which is just situated one floor below my apartment unit. There are two other ways to get your stomach filled - from the food stalls at the roadside opposite KTT, or from the food catering aunty whom we call her Aunty Mira.

Under normal circumstances I have no problem at getting nutritious vegetarian food at a reasonable price for every breakfast and lunch. Mamak cafeteria provides trays of mixed vegetables in buffet style. By paying only RM2.50, it is quite a considerable saving for a happy meal. It would be a little expensive to cater my lunch by filling up my own container at the stall prepared by an old woman who has her secret recipe attracting a great number of loyal customers every afternoon. To my personal liking, I would rather pay RM3.50 for delicious bean-based vegetables and potatoes.

After having my dinner just now, I had a conversation with the senior person in charge at the counter, and I felt a little offended when I was trying to compromise the flawed way in charging the food price. To order vegetarian food without frying, I have only limited options, that is to order foods separately. It is very unreasonable to get charged RM5.00 for a plate of white rice with an egg and a plate of mixed vegetable considering the fact I could have eaten a plate of fried rice with almost equal or even greater quantity of mixed vegetable and rice by paying only RM3.00. When I asked if it is possible to charge less since it is imbalanced in comparison with other options in the menu, I was fairly surprised that at first he replied which price I prefer in a harsh way, and grumbled something like you shouldn't order if you don't like to, instead of have considerations compromised whereby it is easy to set a fixed reasonable price to the combination above, at least for vegetarian food.

I can be a picky eater when it comes to healthy food, or choosy in catering food. I haven't been taking any fried chicken in KTT since months ago. Besides, I would really feel guilty whenever I use a polystyrene box or plastic bag. I don't mind washing extra containers by myself and I think it is time for everyone to show some concern towards the current main global issue especially those who are highly selective like me, but in a different way - rather to dine in his own apartment which would in turn result in a used polystyrene box for each meal taken. I couldn't say it is indifference shown, but it is another ironical scene to look at because well educated people would have reflected on what they should do before getting it done, however in this case, it is clearly seen that because of the long term habit practiced so they don't feel like holding any obligation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails