Thursday, May 13, 2010

Change or not change?

I'm currently operating Compaq Presario C700 notebook which is relatively old considering the fact that my father had been using it installed with Windows XP for years ago before passing it to me. Now it appears to be terminally ill. The fan is constantly giving out irritating noise as if it is overworking although the cooling effect is fairly dissatisfying. I suspect the easily accumulated heat is one of the factors contributing to the occasional system lagging. However there are credits I can still give. I particularly enjoy the sensation of typing on its keypad. As a gamer, despite the graphic limitations that allow its user to run only gaming applications with low graphic requirements, I love the widescreen too.

My Sony Ericsson K618i has been following me for more than three years, it is gradually exposing its glitches too. The main faulty aspect that annoys me is the "instant auto-shutdown" of my phone. Whenever I insert it into my pocket and walk for some distance, it would automatically shut down, causing inconvenience as people can't reach my phone to give me a call. The phone needs only a small knock from sideways to slump into unconsciousness. I guess it must be the battery being unable to hinge to the terminal in an appropriate and functional way. To type instant messages in Chinese has caused me a hardship too. It takes a long time to fully read the pinyin (the standard system of Roman spelling in Chinese). Therefore it is considerably slow and insensitive. Furthermore, the metal plates which are responsible for adapting the charger are severely corroded. Whenever I want to charge my phone, I have to give it a "comfortable position" so there is current passing through the loosely connected junction, not to mention it might break and cut the circuit if slightly disturbed.

Actually I don't mind using old products as long as they are still capable of performing routine tasks in a satisfying way to users. However if I'm given the chance, I would certainly change both of them, or at least one of them. My parents are generous enough to sponsor whatever I want without further consideration, but I don't really want to spend too much of their money on my needs without further consideration too. I thought of smartphones, especially iPhone that has dominated the recent market with its cool-looking features. I thought of laptops my roommate recommended to me by introducing a lot of terminology which is not layman-friendly such as those modeling codes of hardware. I'm clear that I have to be clear to my requirements before choosing any product from the vast available options I can simply grab.

I do hope to accept any suggestions you might be able to share with me.

2 comments:

  1. For iPhone, if your requirement is not terribly high and you don't mind the envy of seeing people using later model than yours, then you can get the 8GB iPhone 3G model, it's pretty good and it's the cheapest amongst the current iPhone line up.

    For laptop, it really depends on how good you want it to be, especially with regards to your gaming requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got myself an iPhone 3GS with 16GB capacity =)

    What is the model you are using? Are you planning to change your gadget to the latest iPhone 4? ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails