Saturday, April 3, 2010

What's wrong? Can't you sense it?

Here is the previous post of the similar topic.

Forwarded emails urge me to voice out my opinion here again. Can we call the reaction of someone saying "Oh, that's cruel, we shouldn't do that!" while reading emails spreading news about killing of animals on the verge to extinct as human conscience? I have been trying to get involved in arguments such as humans have no right to deprive animals of their life regardless of their status or species. Whenever I read the typical comments cursing those inhumane sin done by either illegal butcher or hunter, especially on Facebook, I couldn't help myself to have my two cents pointed out in order to further scrutinize, review and try to bring an ironical sense into this issue.

For example, there was a documentary video showing seals' misfortune, suffering from the peeling of their skin by human in order to meet the high demand of raw material in leather industry. As expected, all the response towards this revealed sin could be generalised as rantings, condemnation and criticism accompanied by some cursing, or some of them might not even have the courage to continue watching because it was just too evil. For a greater understanding, I tried to make a simple comparison with the killing of poultry so that we could equate the cruelty of human act. Actually when we are taking meat from chicken and beef, we do contribute in this too.

Then, people started to refute my argument, stating that there is an obvious difference due to the reason torture and killing are not the same, and the sin of killing is definitely lower than the sin of torturing. They solidified their arguments Humans were created by god to be a "caliphate" on this earth and permitted to take advantage of all the natural resources there, but not to torture fellow creatures.

I have to admit the idea I advocate to is greatly influenced by teaching in Dharma talk. If you are not familiar with that, I would like to tell you that killing is prohibited, even killing an ant. And here comes the contact between religious views.

I do agree they are different above the surface, and I am trying to find an alternative perspective from the identity they share. I don't have the intention to defy any of the religious views but it is just intriguing for me to have a deeper insight towards this. Since both of them are sins and people don't wish to conduct any sinful practice, and logically and rationally people would say: "No, I don't want it to be like this." or "It is so wrong, we shouldn't do these." We would have criticized sinful people using different extent of phrases based on ascending "degree of sin". But for me, it brings contradiction when people would actually consider these as antonym, humane and inhumane.

If you read carefully, my point is very simple, that is "do not feel sorry or guilty for the animals when you are reading similar email or whatsoever, if you are dining in meat, such as KFC, perhaps?

There is another fascinating fact I would like to share. Whenever we flipped through the newspapers, bad news such as murdering and kidnapping would not fail to meet our eyes. Have you ever noticed that we have our own scale on judging the degree of sin conducted by those criminals? Sometime the scale would go imbalanced. For instance, when a little adorable girl was kidnapped, the newspapers would have some argh-she-is-so-cute photos gazetted to draw the attention of the public. Same analogy, people would look at the photo and say "where the hell do those kidnappers grow their conscience? How can you be so harsh to such a cute little girl?" How if miserably the victim doesn't have an attractive look? There is no an one hundred and eighty degree of change by public response, of course, but you can actually notice the great difference.

Things are artificial, and fake as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails