Friday, February 26, 2010

The Chinese New Year Celebration

It was two days ago when we had a blast in my college presenting the Chinese New Year celebration after weeks of preparation in hurry. The main aspects of this activity such as program, food and decorations were well done in the sense that we have got a very positive feedback from those VIPs as well as from our college mates. I was mainly in charge of decorative procedures and exhibition, that means I was no doubt one of the busiest men, so it is a kind of relief accompanied by satisfaction and joy to have this project done, not perfectly, but I'm certain that at least it has thrilled everyone in my college by which they could actually sense the Chinese New Year ambiance and explore more about our culture and tradition under such an exposure.

This backdrop is 100% handmade using "raw materials" such as mahjong papers, red papers black ink, glue etc. It is superb isn't it? =)

We invited a lion dance troupe to invite the VIPs and perform during the opening ceremony.

The spring couplet in the form of scroll rolling down after pulled by VIPs at the main entrance of the hall.
We normally read the couplet starting from the right one, from top to bottom. To translate, it simply brings the meaning of "Golden ox embarks on a new journey and there comes the tiger indicating the arrival of spring."

She is the head of our college, we call her "Datin". Her expression tells me that she might be wondering what those Chinese characters mean, perhaps?

Our very first show was traditional dance including eight of us dancing using Chinese fan and lanterns. I am the one holding the red lantern at a lower level.

This is another meaningful scene. They are taking part in "laosheng", using chopsticks to toss the raw fish salad high in the air. Fish is a homophone of "abundance" in Chinese, therefore it symbolises prosperity and auspiciousness.

The VIPs showing their calligraphy of a single word namely "tiger". This word is relatively complicated, so I guess they wouldn't have written such an readable masterpiece if I didn't use a pencil to provide a draft of the strokes on those pink papers :p

I did take part in the choir too. It was a wonderful experience to perform Chinese New Year song in full traditional attire with a group of friends!

The martial arts known as wushu in Chinese. Can you notice there is a Malay guy? :D

This lovely lady has a great voice! She sang folk song in the way opera singers sing, how wonderful!
'This guy is proficient in playing Chinese yo-yo.


Ribbon dance.

Mandarin oranges eating competition.

The middle guy is transformed into the God of Wealth and Fortune. The costume is handmade too!

The VIPs are trying to write 恭喜发财 (Gong Xi Fa Cai).

They are my favourite lecturers =)

VIPs visiting the displaying boards during exhibition.

You wouldn't have managed to come out with a correct estimation if you didn't know how much Chinese likes the number 8!

I particularly like these two photos.

I notice that although there are not many Chinese in my college, there are still a number of talented people interspersed in the nerd-looking scholarship holders. I have received some compliments regarding the decoration that worked under my mastermind, but I still need to declare that without the helping hands, I could not make it. I really enjoyed these hectic weeks which severely replaced my revision schedule, despite the fact that I am now slightly lagged behind in term of academic syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails